2023 MID-ATLANTIC DRUM CAMP DATES:
JULY 16-20, 2023
This camp is for drummers age 9-18 years old *
What does it cost /what's included? $625 Includes dorm room, meals, group instruction, Clinics, Master classes and private lessons at the camp. * Discount for returning students. Students will have a roommate
Where is the Camp located? St. Mary's College of Maryland; on the historic waterside in St. Mary's City Maryland.
Do I need to be able to read music? NO
Do I need to bring a Drum Set? YES. We offer a LIMITED number of rental kits for an additional $75.
More details below.
Who is teaching at the 2023 camp? Click HERE
Why ages 9-18? There are countless drum camps across the nation with the greatest drummers in the world - but they are structured for adults. We provide a unique opportunity for drummers, from beginner to advanced, to also learn from the greats - in a one of a kind, mentorship setting.
1) What should I expect at the camp? Meet, live, learn, and get to know some of the top professional drummers in the world on a personal level. Plus great food and jam sessions every night.
2) I live near the college, can I commute? YES
Same price for overnight or commuter - all meals are included for commuters.
3) What are the accommodations? Overnight students are roomed with another student in air conditioned, key access dorm rooms with free Wi-Fi. Parent chaperons will be in the dorms overnight for safety and assistance. Students and chaperones need to bring bedding for a twin size bed. A sleeping bag and pillow are fine.
4) Is there a nurse available? A certified, registered Nurse is in camp with us 24-hours a day. If the student is bringing medications - including over the counter - they will be given to the Nurse at Check In.
5) What drums do I bring? All students need to bring a 4-piece kit consisting of: drum rug, snare & stand, bass drum & pedal, 1-small tom, 1-floor tom, 1 ride cymbal & stand, 1-crash cymbal & stand, throne & sticks. NOTE: additional drums, cymbals, cowbell, stacks, blocks, etc. are permitted.
6) Rental drums are available if you are arriving by air. We have a limited number of rental kits for an additional $75. Select "Rental kit" option on the registration form.
7) How do I register for the camp? REGISTRATION OPENS WINTER / SPRING 2023
8) How many skill groups are there? There are 4-skill groups, from beginner to advanced drum levels. A college prep group may be added, if necessary.
9) How am I assigned to a group? After you are approved to attend the camp, you need to send us a video with you playing the grooves & rudiments listed below. Artists & Educators view each video and assign students to a Group based on the skills you demonstrate in your Video.
10) VIDEO ASSESSMENT Each student must send a video (or video link) of themselves playing 4-8 measures of the styles listed below. You do NOT need to play every style on the list - include as many as you can - skip what you don't know. Play the grooves in the order listed below, any speed / variation. Don't worry about mistakes - just do your best.
NEW OPTION ➤ Play up to 3 of your favorite grooves from the list below in "Song Style". This is your opportunity to demonstrate how you would play a few grooves of your choice demonstrating: verse / transition / chorus / transition / bridge / guitar solo, etc. "Song Style" Grooves will be be no longer than 2-minutes per groove. You may select 1, 2 or 3 grooves for song style, but 3-grooves is the max! For the remaining styles, play 4-8 measures of the groove.
SAMPLE Video Assessment will be sent after your registration is approved.
"50-Ways to Leave Your Lover" (Verse section only)
Up Tempo Swing (optional)
Rudiments on snare drum only: Double Paradiddle, Windmill, 6-Stroke Roll
You don't need to play all 12-grooves. Play the grooves & rudiments you know, skip anything you don't know.
12) Who decides on skill group I am assigned to? Artists & Educators of the 3rd Annual Mid Atlantic Drum Camp will collectively determine the recommended Skill Group for each student. Students may be moved to a different Group once camp begins.
Questions? Send us an email ➤ firstname.lastname@example.org
* Age waivers may be issued on a case by case basis.